Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Hungarian Cookie Recipe

I thought I'd share one of the cookie recipes we used for the baptism reception. These are called "Hungarian Nut Nuggets" and while the name might not be so elegant, the cookies are. They are similar to Mexican wedding cookies and are super butter-rich and not too sweet; perfect with coffee. This recipe is from June Meyer's website and other Hungarian recipes can be found there as well:
http://homepage.interaccess.com/~june4/nutnuggetcookie.html

Hungarian Nut Nugget Cookies
  • 1 lb butter, room temperature
  • 10Tablespoons of powdered sugar
  • 2 cups of medium-coarse chopped nuts (Walnut is traditional but can use Pecans also)
  • 2 Teaspoons of vanilla
  • 4 cups of flour
In a large bowl blend the ingredients with a wire pastry blender until the ingredients form a small nugget when squeezed together.
Form into nuggets by scooping out a tablespoon of dough and forming it with hand.
Place on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes until they start to brown around edges. Watch them so they do not burn.
Cool and roll in powdered sugar. Store in cool place until needed. (They are full of butter).
Makes 2 1/2 lbs. of cookies.
Enjoy!

 I forgot to mention, guess who gave up sugar and sweets for Lent? Oh yes, that'd be me! I'm sorely missing out and am tempted daily by all the leftover cookies. Oh bother!

No comments:

Post a Comment